Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tax Software Choices


As April 15 approaches and our minds turn to filing our tax returns, I always have a tough time choosing which off the shelf tax software to purchase either TurboTax or TaxCut. Despite having used both products, my decision often boils down to the one that I find is easier to navigate through which is TaxCut. I have used TaxCut in 8 out of the past 13 years in which I have used tax software. If you haven't purchased your tax software yet, the New York Times has an excellent article on "Choosing the Tax Software that is right For You." If you need more information see Tax Preparation Software.

Many off the shelf tax software companies now offer on online version of their software. I have never used the online version but this is also a good option since in order to do business with the I.R.S., software companies have to demonstrate that they have certain firewalls and certain security measures in place. Here is some information on online tax filing options

Here is somehting you want to consider before purchasing your tax software, if your household income is less than $56,000, you can prepare and file your federal taxes online for free through the IRS website.

No comments: